Sleep Survey: How do you feel about the amount of sleep that your child gets?

The Start Times Advisory Committee surveyed parents, students, and staff about sleep in June. On October 4, the committee presented the results of the survey at a community forum. This slide shows responses to the question: how do you feel about the amount of sleep that your child gets? for the parent survey and how do you feel about the amount of sleep that you get? on the student survey and on the staff survey: how do you feel about the amount of sleep that your students get?

School start time sleep survey: how do you feel about the amount of sleep that your child gets?

The blue is used to show too much or far too much sleep: almost no one is reporting that students get too much sleep. What we would like to see on this chart is all green – that everyone – staff, parents, and students – agree that the kids are getting about the right amount of sleep. But that’s not what’s here.

The yellow shows “too little sleep” and the orange “far too little sleep”. A little over half of the PreK-6 staff feel that their students are getting too little (or much too little) sleep. At Masconomet, only 12% of staff believe that their students are getting enough sleep.

Parents are more optimistic, with 70% of parents believing that their PreK-2 children get enough sleep. That number slowly declines, though, until high school, when only 35% of parents believe that their children are getting enough sleep.

Looking at the students, about half of the students in Grades 5-6 report getting too little (or much too little) sleep. When the children get to the Masconomet schedule, though, there is a dramatic change: 34% of Students in Grades 7-8 say that they get much too little sleep and an additional 48% say too little sleep – a total of 88% of students saying that they’re not sleeping enough. In Grades 9-12,  50% that they get much too little sleep and a additional 40% say too little sleep – a total of 90%.

Read more at: